Monday 9 February 2015

Pineapple Tarts 黄梨挞

新年一到又要忙了。


This year I baked and baked and baked till my husband raised his arms and surrender. Haha...bake for my family, my in laws, my relatives and a handful of friends/colleagues. Ain't they cute. 


I used to bake a lot when I was still staying with my parents. After getting married, I don't bake any more. But this year, I managed to persuade my husband to let me bake. Ha...so we bought the oven. I love my Rowenta oven. Easy to use and pretty big as well. 


I have baked pineapple tarts for the past few years at my parents'. I have tried many different brands of butters on different recipes and I found the ONE recipe I will keep. My way of baking is a little tedious. But looking at the finished product - its satisfaction. 


People who ate my pineapple tarts love the buttery taste and have requested me to sell my pineapple tarts. I never thought of selling any this year. Since there are requests, I will just bake...with my husband's help. 


I cheated. I didn't make my own pineapple fillings. I bought them from bakery stores or supermarkets. This will save alot of time. 


Well...now for my recipe - 



Pineapple Tarts 黄梨挞 .

Pastry
Ingredients
906 g of plain flour
20 oz cold butter, cut into cubes
12 tbsp icing sugar
6 eggs yolks
1/2 tsp salt

For glaze, 3 egg yolks + 3 tsp water

  1. Sift the flour. Add in the icing sugar and salt. Mix well.
  2. Using the rub in method, rub the butter into the flour using a fork until fine bread crumbs are obtained.
  3. Beat the egg yolks and add it into the butter flour mixture. Lightly combine them using fingertips. 
  4. Chill the dough with a cling wrap for approximately 30 minutes.
  5. While waiting for the dough to chill, roll the pineapple fillings into balls. 
  6. Preheat oven to 160°C.  Line parchment paper on the baking trays.
  7. Flour the roller and dough. Roll out the dough to 0.5 to 0.7cm thick. Cut the dough with the pineapple tart cutter. 
  8. Arrange on the tray. 
  9. Bake in preheat oven for 10 minutes; remove from oven. 
  10. Glaze the half baked pastry and press the pineapple fillings on the pastry and bake for another 10 minutes. 
  11. Keep them in air tight containers when completely cool. 

Updated 23 January 2015:
*Those who does not have confectionery/icing sugar, you may use caster sugar. Always half the required. My recipe calls for 12 tbsp of icing sugar, this is equivalent to 6 tbsp caster sugar. 

*Some may find it hard to handle the dough, chill it slightly longer and flour your roller, tart cutter and the table top. This will help. 
Mr W dipped the entire tart cutter into the flour. Hahaa just remember to dust excess flour away.


2 comments:

  1. Hi, I'm Sally. Wow, they sure looks very tempting. May I know how many grams/kg of pineapple paste is used? 20 oz of butter is equal to how many grams of butter and if it's salted type? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally,
      Thanks for your compliments.
      i used 1kg...sometimes, there will be a few teaspoon left over. This will varies depending on your preference for pineapple jam. Some like more, some less.
      20 oz butter is 567g of butter. I used salted butter. But as times goes by, I always use Golden Churn butter in a tin.
      Happy Baking!

      Delete